Tuesday, March 31, 2009

taking flight

i wrote this poem a few weeks ago. it stemmed from past experiences in planes and remembering why i love them so. sure, if i don't keep my ears popped constantly, the pain is near unbearable halfway into the trip [and chewing gum just doesn't seem to help my poor ears], but the views make up for it.


it makes me feel good to look down and see the world as simple for just a little while. i think the Lord likes teaching me from this perspective. i like writing so i can remember a tad of what i learn.

then, there are those times when my writing collides with my dreams as they come up to the surface of my heart. it's funny how sometimes i don't even know what those dreams are until they begin making their way to paper.

i'm sitting here, thousands of miles away from my town
looking down on the vertical distance between us is changing me
i'm wrapped up in this blanket because it's cold up here
but the inside of me is warmer than it's felt in years

the city looks clean and simple, tidy little boxes separated my streets
the square in the corner is lit up by a man who loves his family
he may have to work two jobs to give them what they need
but they know the long hours stem from love, not greed

from way up here, everything looks orderly and intact
the people have it all together and know what they've come to do
they speak with voices as calm as the ocean appears
and they all hold hands and pray because they know the end is near

the roads are never ending, left and right lead to the very same place
confusion isn't present when there's this bird's eye view
no one is questioning when or where and how or why
they just serve during the day and have peace in their homes at night

the clouds are below me now, so i'm above all the rain
these clouds may look heavy from where you are but that's not true
they surrounded me on my way up and wrapped me in white
and now they're parting just in time for you to see the light

when i land, i won't lose this perspective like before
when the newness wore off and and simplicities slowly faded away
distance has healed the pain and brought forth tears to roam
no more wondering what it's really like, i'm coming home
(c) 2009

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great poem. . .it is true things are more clear when you can see them from a bird's eye view and not just pieces of it here and there. . .its kinda like this story I once heard about how football players on the field can only see one portion of what's going on but that the coach that is in the high deck can see all that's going on at once and make a better decision than the players on what to do next because he can see all that's going on and not just one piece here and there. . .I like to imagine God as that coach in the upper deck making calls that are best for our lives because he sees it all past present future and truly knows what's best for us. . .

    ReplyDelete