Monday, November 16, 2009

for i am sick with love

i am yours, beloved, and your desire is for me
i am sick with love

i could begin to imagine the pounding of your

heartbeat as you drew me closer
step by step, walking toward you,

it felt more like home by the second
your eyes followed me the entire way,

just waiting for me to look up
when i did, i caught your glance

and it beckoned me to continue onward

the more space i covered,

the easier it was for me to trust you
though the distance hid the fullness of

your beauty, your shadow was enough
it was not dark as the others but radiating

with the light that hovered around you
colors i had never seen before,

all distinct, unable to be described or understood

i finally got to you, and as i reached out

my hand to touch you, you wept
not from sadness but out of joy,

for i had chosen you for my own
the praise i had offered up on the

journey here had not been in vain
as your glory surrounded and filled me,

i knew why i had come this far

you overwhelmed me, and i knew pure,

selfless love for the first time
i laid under your shadow with delight

as you raised your banner of love over me
although i was dark, you called me lovely

until the idea became truth to me
with your left hand under my head

and your right embracing me, i was secure

i fell asleep under your shade and rested,

peacefully, and upon waking, you had gone
your holiness no longer as real to me

but your presence still about me
i knew that you would be back,

that i would be walking toward you again soon
that on that day, my soul would be alive

again, forever, with you

i am yours, beloved, and you are mine
for i am sick with love

(c) 2008

2 comments: