Thursday, September 17, 2009

books, ears, and the beach

can i make my excitement really evident and write in enormous letters and say something that i've been waiting to say for what seems like an eternity now? well, even if you whisper "no" and i still hear it, i'm going to do it anyway, because...

I CAN HEAR!!!!!

(i was really going for something a little more dramatic than that, but whatever works. that's the best me and this here blog can do.)

after the doctor finished rummaging around in my right ear again today, i felt a little bit like an ant would feel if a dinosaur walked up and started talking to it. okay, i'm pretty sure ants don't have ears, and if they did, they would probably be too minute to hear much of anything. maybe you still get my point. the world seemed completely different. the doctor asked me a question, and i jumped a little. he understood. and then i responded and thought, "so THAT'S what i sound like." i had forgotten. i made it a point to turn my radio down as soon as i got in my car to leave. it would have blasted me to the third heaven. (...and that would have been unfortunate why?)

i love our senses. the world is so much more beautiful when they're included.

i bought new books today. in my eyes, a long beach trip is the perfect excuse to invest in some new reading material. i was afraid i'd be in books-a-million for hours trying to reach a decision. while i'm as indecisive as a person can be, i'm not blaming my personality flaw for the countless hours i've spent in bookstores. it's plain and simple. i just love books. and how anyone can walk in, grab a book off the shelf, and walk out is beyond me. i did, however, manage to make it a quick trip... a record time of only 45 minutes!

my choices? when crickets cry by charles martin and the time-traveler's wife by audrey niffenegger. i surprised myself with the latter, but i figure with the movie coming out that i'll probably end up seeing, i'll rest better knowing i read the book first. i'm sure i won't be disappointed.

beach, i can't wait to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment